Friday, June 14, 2013

Ink!

*Not a review of any books, don't waste your time reading this long babbling if you have other things to do

So, let me start out by saying that if you do not have a Half Price Books store near you, then I severely, severely, severely, very very very much completely and totally pity you.

I really do. So...so much...

Anyway!

My dad has been meaning to take me there since Wednesday, and I guess because he didn't get to, he was feeling guilty enough to take me last night. (I love you, Dad.)

I'm very picky when it comes to buying books, and sometimes I'm not picky enough, and other times I just want to buy all the books in a bookstore and then I'm racked with indecision about which to buy. (I'm really indecisive, and also, I think my personality is really prone to flip-flopping around.) The point is, when I go into a bookstore, it takes a long time for me to decide what to get.

Since we left at 9, and the store closes at 10, I had about an hour to decide what to get. I browsed through the whole Young Adult section, almost got a book from a whole lot of Amanda Hocking books, found only Beautiful Chaos in hardcover (only $9.87, if you were wondering), Unearthly in this horrible, ugly paperback and then Hallowed without a dust jacket so I wasn't even sure how much it cost, and I wanted to get Silence so I could finally read it and finally complete my Hush, Hush collection, but the only hardcover they had had a dust jacket that was frayed and ripped. Stuff like this went on for a long time (and I even considered getting Torment because they were displaying it with a bunch of other books and oh my gosh that cover was so beautiful *shivers*).

If you didn't want to read that entire paragraph, I was basically screwed.

And the store was closing in literally less than ten minutes when my dad and I were searching the clearance shelf for something to read. My dad kept pulling out random books that looked old (no offense, books) but when he pulled out this one random book from the very bottom shelf, I noticed the book that was to the left of it.

And oh my gosh, I nearly flipped over and fainted.

Because there was that familiar logo I was so used to seeing all the time!

Ink, running down the spine!

For a little bit of backstory, I found that book in Netgalley, requested it, and got rejected. Fine. Whatever. But then Goodreads was having a giveaway of five ARCs of the book, I read the summary, and I wanted that book so badly. The morning the contest ended and the e-mails went out, I got up early to check my e-mail, and, because life is so cruel, I got a bunch of e-mails from Goodreads, but none that said "Congrats - you are a First Reads winner!" (Reading the subject line for each e-mail from Goodreads made my heart stop way too many times to be healthy.) I'd wanted the book so much I was about ready to cry, and spent the rest of the day between a state of depression and anger (though it was mostly depression).

But HOLY CRAP HERE WAS THE BOOK RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF ME OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!!

I gasped, pulled the book out with disbelieving hands, and flipped it over. Sure enough, there it was, that familiar cover with the painted blonde girl and the title underneath.

And it was only five dollars.

Half Price Books...I love you so much.

I bought it, of course, and also got a really pretty bookmark to go along with it :)





My dad and I also went shopping for a while at Wal-mart to buy food and towels, so when we got home it was already around 11. I started reading about half an hour after we got home and got to page 22--then this morning I had to physically restrain myself from reading past Chapter 1. Yes, it is that freaking good so far. And I love love love the book. It's so pretty!

Which is why (especially since I've wanted it for so long so badly) I have to read all the books I got from the library first, so I can savor this as much as possible. *sigh*

By the way, is it just me or are publishers getting cheaper with bindings? I mean, look at that book: the covers are made of porous white paper instead of cardboard or just whatever publishers usually use for paperbacks. I don't mind, but really, I also got a book from Goodreads earlier that had the same binding. I thought it was a novelty so I really liked it, but is this going to be how all publishers will make paperbacks from now on?

I kinda would have preferred a hardcover of this and I wish Half Price Books had had it but I won't complain

Speaking of the wonderful, amazing, Half Price Books, I also printed out a reading log for their summer reading challenge thing--if I read 300 minutes I get a $5 coupon! ...Which I'd already accomplished the first day I found out about the program by reading Scumbled. (Ahhh, I love being a kid. How I'm going to miss it so much when I turn 15 :'(((( Lucky for me I found out about this before I turned 15, because 14 is the cut-off date.) Since it's not the end of the week, though, and that's when your parents initial for the total number of minutes you read, I can't redeem for it yet. Let's just hope they don't think I'm faking because of the ridiculous number of minutes I read each day (yeah I sadly have no life ;w;).

Top Reader in each age category gets a $20 gift card too--wish me luck, invisible audience! Fingers crossed! *waves*

No comments:

Post a Comment